Dental CARMA (Caries Assessment, Risk Management Application) is an approach we use here at our office to promote the health of your smile. This approach is designed to prevent, assess and treat dental disease. This approach helps us assess a patient’s risk for caries (tooth decay) and to determine the appropriate measures to prevent the development of decay and how to best treat existing decay.
We use dental CARMA to check for indicators of disease, including the following:
- Nutritional or developmental problems
- Low socioeconomic status
- The presence of cavities, white spots and restorations that have been noticed in the past three years
- Potential risk factors, including:
- Visible plaque
- Exposed tooth roots
- Frequent snacking
- Inadequate saliva flow
- Deep pits and fissures in the gums
- Orthodontic appliances
Dental CARMA involves the following steps:
- Determine the level of caries risk as low, moderate, high or extreme risk.
- Perform the appropriate bacteria and saliva testing according to level of risk
- Create a plan for caries prevention and treatment
- Discuss how patient should care for smile at home, according to level of risk
- Follow-up appointments in which we re-assess patient’s risk level
To learn more about dental CARMA in Hewlett, New York, please call our office today at 516-295-2000 to schedule an appointment with our dentist, Dr. Scott Amer.